Rava Idli Recipe
Rava Idli is a popular South Indian dish made with semolina, also known as rava or sooji, and yogurt. It is a quick and easy alternative to traditional idlis that require soaking and grinding of lentils and rice. Rava Idlis are soft, fluffy, and perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even as a snack.
Here’s the recipe for Rava Idli:
- 1 cup rava (semolina)
- 1 cup yogurt (curd)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1/2 inch ginger, grated
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal, grated ginger, and chopped green chili. Saute for a minute.
- Add rava (semolina) to the pan and roast on medium flame until it turns light golden in color. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the rava is roasted, turn off the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, water, and salt. Add the cooled down rava mixture to the bowl and mix well. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add baking soda and mix gently. The batter will become frothy.
- Grease the idli molds with oil and pour the batter into them.
- Steam the idlis in a steamer or pressure cooker without the whistle for 12-15 minutes on medium flame.
- Once done, let them cool down for a minute before removing them from the molds.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with coconut chutney or tomato chutney.
Enjoy your delicious and healthy Rava Idlis!
- Roast the rava properly.
- Use fresh ingredients.
- Use curd in the batter.
- Rest the batter for 20-30 minutes.
- Steam the idlis properly for 10-12 minutes.
Next👉: Kanchipuram Idli Recipe – How to Make Soft and Fluffy Idlis at Home