Jeera Rice Recipe
Jeera Rice is a fragrant and flavorful Indian rice dish made with basmati rice, whole spices, and cumin seeds. It is a popular side dish that can be paired with a variety of curries and other main dishes. Jeera Rice is easy to prepare and can be customized to suit individual preferences. With the right technique and a few key tips, you can make delicious and fluffy Jeera Rice that will be a hit at any meal.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 green cardamom pods
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) for garnish
Instructions to cook:
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak it in water for 20-30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat the water and bring it to a boil. Add the soaked rice and stir. Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan and let the rice cook for 18-20 minutes or until it is fully cooked.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove it from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil or ghee on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, green cardamom pods, and cloves, and sauté for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until it turns translucent and slightly browned.
- Add the cooked rice and salt to taste. Mix well until all the spices are evenly distributed.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid. Let the rice sit for a few minutes so that the flavors can meld together.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Your fragrant and flavorful Jeera Rice is now ready to be enjoyed as a side dish or a main meal!
- Soak the rice before cooking for even cooking and fluffier rice.
- Use whole spices such as cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, green cardamom pods, and cloves for added flavor.
- Sauté the spices in hot oil or ghee to bring out their aromas and flavors.
- Cook the onions until they are slightly browned and translucent for added sweetness and depth of flavor.
- Allow the rice to rest for a few minutes after cooking to allow the flavors to meld together before serving.
Next👉: Easy and Delicious Lemon Rice Recipe | Quick and Tasty Lemon Rice