Rajma, also known as red kidney beans, is a popular Indian dish that is made with kidney beans cooked in a spicy tomato-based gravy. It is a staple food in North India and is usually served with rice or roti. Rajma is not only delicious, but it is also packed with protein and other essential nutrients, making it a healthy and satisfying meal.
- 1 cup dried kidney beans (rajma)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped for garnish
- Soak the kidney beans in water overnight or for at least 6-8 hours.
- Drain the water and rinse the beans thoroughly.
- Add the beans to a pressure cooker along with enough water to cover them. Cook for 4-5 whistles or until the beans are soft and cooked through.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they start to splutter, add chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add grated ginger and minced garlic to the pan and sauté for another minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt to the pan and mix well.
- Add the cooked kidney beans to the pan along with the water in which they were cooked.
- Mix well and let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes on low heat.
- Add plain yogurt to the pan and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
Enjoy your delicious Rajma!
- Soak the kidney beans for at least 6-8 hours before cooking. This will make them soft and tender, and reduce their cooking time.
- If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can cook the beans in a regular pot on the stove. It will take longer, but the end result will be just as delicious.
- Use fresh and ripe tomatoes for the recipe, as they will add more flavor to the dish.
- To make the gravy thicker and creamier, you can add cashew paste or cream to the recipe.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste by adding more or less red chili powder.
- Serve the Rajma hot with rice or roti, and garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
- You can also add vegetables like potatoes or carrots to the recipe to make it more nutritious.
- Store the leftover Rajma in an airtight container in the refrigerator and consume it within 2-3 days.