Butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani, is a popular Indian dish that originated in the city of Delhi. It is a creamy and flavorful chicken curry that is made with boneless chicken pieces that are marinated in a spiced yogurt mixture, then grilled or baked, and finally simmered in a tomato-based creamy sauce. The dish is often served with naan bread or rice and garnished with fresh cilantro.
Here is a recipe for butter chicken:
- 1 lb boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces to the mixture and coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the marinated chicken pieces on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add the baked chicken pieces to the saucepan and stir to coat well with the sauce.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir well to combine. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with naan bread or rice. Enjoy!
- Marinate the chicken for at least an hour or overnight to allow the spices and yogurt to infuse into the meat, resulting in a more flavorful dish.
- Bake or grill the chicken pieces before adding them to the sauce, as this will give them a nice charred flavor and help them retain their moisture.
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best flavor. For example, use fresh ginger and garlic instead of pre-made paste, and use ripe, juicy tomatoes for the tomato puree.
- Adjust the spice levels to your taste. If you like it spicier, add more chili powder or cayenne pepper. If you prefer a milder dish, reduce the amount of chili powder.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a little water or chicken stock to thin it out.
- For a healthier version, you can use Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream. It will give a tangy taste to the dish and lower the calorie count.
- Don’t skip the garnish of fresh cilantro as it adds a lovely freshness to the dish.
- Serve the butter chicken with some naan bread or steamed rice to soak up all the delicious sauce.