Matar Paneer Recipe
Matar Paneer is a classic North Indian dish made with paneer (cottage cheese) and green peas in a tomato-based gravy. It is a delicious vegetarian dish that is easy to make and goes well with naan bread or rice. Here is a simple recipe to make Matar Paneer at home:
- 250g paneer, cut into cubes
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add choped onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add tomato puree and cook until oil separates from the mixture.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add green peas and paneer cubes. Mix well.
- Add salt to taste and water as required to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes until the peas are cooked and the paneer is soft.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with naan bread or rice.
- For a creamier gravy, you can add some heavy cream or cashew cream towards the end of cooking.
- To make the dish more aromatic, you can add some whole spices like bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, or cardamom pods to the pan while cooking the onions.
- Don’t overcook the paneer as it can become tough and rubbery. Add it towards the end of cooking and gently stir to combine.
- For a healthier version, you can use low-fat paneer or tofu instead of regular paneer. You can also reduce the amount of oil used in the recipe.
- Serve the Matar-Paneer hot with some fresh coriander leaves and a side of naan bread with rice. Enjoy!