Masala Idli Recipe
Masala Idli is a popular South Indian dish that is made with steamed rice cakes (idlis) and a spicy masala mix made with onions, tomatoes, and Indian spices. It is a perfect breakfast or snack option for those who are looking for a healthy yet delicious meal. The best thing about Masala Idli is that it is easy to make and can be customized to suit your taste buds. So, let’s learn how to make Masala Idli at home.
- 8-10 Idlis
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Cut the Idlis into small pieces and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and asafoetida (hing) to it. Let them splutter.
- Add chopped onions, green chilies, ginger, and garlic to the pan and sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and salt to the pan and mix well.
- Add the chopped idlis to the pan and mix well until the masala coats the idlis evenly.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame and stir occasionally.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- You can add vegetables like capsicum, carrot, and peas to the masala mix to make it more nutritious.
- If you want a tangy taste, add a dash of lemon juice to the masala mix.
- You can use leftover idlis to make Masala Idlis.
- You can also add some grated coconut to the masala mix for a different taste.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.
Next👉: Delicious Mixed Vegetable Recipe | Healthy and Versatile Dish