Famous Kachori Recipe
Kachori is a popular Indian snack that is enjoyed across the country. It is a deep-fried pastry filled with a spicy lentil or potato mixture. Here is a recipe for the classic lentil-filled kachori:
Ingredients: For the pastry:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Water (as needed)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
For the filling:
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup yellow split peas (chana dal)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
Instructions for Kachori:
- To make the pastry, mix the flour, salt, and oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Add water gradually and knead to make a smooth and pliable dough. Cover the dough and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, rinse and soak the chana dal in water for at least 2 hours. Drain the water and grind the dal coarsely in a food processor.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. Once they start to splutter, add the ground dal and stir well.
- Add the coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the mixture is dry and crumbly. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Divide the dough into small lemon-sized balls. Flatten each ball into a small disc and place a tablespoon of the filling in the center.
- Bring the edges of the dough together to enclose the filling and pinch to seal. Flatten the filled dough ball slightly.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Carefully slide a few kachoris into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the kachoris with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve the hot kachoris with tamarind chutney or mint chutney.
Enjoy your delicious kachori as a snack or appetizer!