Famous Aloo Tikki Recipe
Aloo Tikki is a popular Indian street food snack that is made with boiled potatoes and a variety of spices. It is crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. Here is a detailed recipe for making delicious Aloo Tikki at home:
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Oil for shallow frying
Instructions for Aloo Tikki:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the boiled and mashed potatoes, breadcrumbs, green chilies, grated ginger, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, amchur powder, salt, and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are combined and the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the mixture into small lemon-sized balls and flatten them slightly to make round patties.
- Heat oil in a shallow frying pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, gently place the patties in the pan and shallow-fry them until they are golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Remove the Aloo Tikki from the pan and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the Aloo Tikki hot with mint chutney or tamarind chutney.
- If you don’t have breadcrumbs, you can substitute with roasted and powdered peanuts or cashews.
- You can also stuff the Aloo Tikki with cheese or paneer for added flavor.
- You can also use a combination of boiled potatoes and mashed peas or carrots to make the Aloo Tikki.
- Adding a little bit of cornstarch or all-purpose flour to the mixture can help the Aloo Tikki stay together while frying.